Let’s focus on the way I achieved my drone pilot license, as I am a private pilot and have my Part 61.

If you already have a Part 61 pilot certificate from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), you can get your Part 107 remote pilot certificate by following these steps.


Head on over to, and login into your WINGS account. Sign up for the Part 107 Small UAS Initial – Part 61 Pilots course. It should take you about 2 hours to run through the course.

Part 107 Exam

The Part 107 remote pilot exam can be taken right after you finish the FAASafety course. It is a home self test, so you do not need to go to a testing center. The exam consists of multiple-choice questions, and you’ll need to score at least 70% to pass.

Complete the Application

After passing the exam, you’ll need to complete an application through the FAA’s Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) system. This application will include your test results and other required information.


Connect with your local CFI and let them know you have completed your Part 107 exam. Once you supply them with your Pilot Certificate, and Photo ID, they can work with you to finalize the paperwork and issue you a temporary certificate. The FAA will issue you a plastic card within 120 days.

Receive Your Remote Pilot Certificate

Once the FAA processes your application and completes the background check, you’ll receive your Part 107 remote pilot certificate and you can discard your paper certificate.

Remember that your Part 107 drone pilot license / certificate is separate from your Part 61 pilot certificate and only allows you to fly drones under the Part 107 rules. It’s essential to follow these rules when operating drones for commercial purposes to ensure safety and compliance with FAA regulations.

View more of my Aviation Resources here: